Micro-needling (aka Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), skin needling, percutaneous collagen induction (PCI)) is a highly effective, yet very simple method, to treat scars and wrinkles, and to quickly improve skin quality, texture and clarity. Oftentimes, micro-needling provides better results than many laser resurfacing devices – without the downtime, risks or limitations of skin types and treatable areas that many lasers have.
With super-fine, sterile needles, micro-channels are created, triggering a rapid healing call-to-action by the body. Skin is prompted to release growth factors, stimulating collagen, and filling the channels with elastin, fibroblasts, and eventually, new capillaries. The result – improved firmness, smoothness and hydration. For scars – micro-needling breaks through fibrous scar tissue, stimulating healthy cell proliferation in place of the fibrous bands and abnormal tissue.
Other benefits of micro-needling include:
- Enhanced delivery and efficacy of topical solutions
- Predictable healing experience
- Little to no downtime
- Suitable for all skin types
- Well-tolerated, even by very sensitive skin types
- Reduction of lines and wrinkles
- Reduction of stretch marks and scars (indented, or atrophic, scars will fill in; raised, or hypertrophic, scars will flatten)
- Cost effective – exceptional results at a fraction of the cost of laser treatments
- Increased penetration of condition specific topical solutions to super boost target results (ie. therapies and chemical agents for pigment issues, acne, aging, dehydration, scars, etc.)
- Ease of use and safe on most areas of the body (such as upper arms, hands, upper thighs, knees, lower back, etc.)
SkinPen is our device of choice. It is an automated (mechanical) device, employing sterile, single-use, surgical grade, disposable tips. Advantages of this device include increased precision of vertical penetration, controlled depth of penetration, increased speed of treatment because of its high-speed motor, and expansion of areas that can be easily treated because of its size and cordless features.