One day, as I glanced in the mirror after stepping out of the shower, I was hit by the reality of my neglected decolletage. Chest wrinkles shot upwards and outwards from the center of my modest cleavage like an explosion of fireworks, cutting through the constellations of age spots, red dots and dark patches of my sun damaged chest.
Then, I realized these lines weren’t temporary sleep lines from my preferred side sleeping position. These lines weren’t temporary ones from the squeeze of an ill-fitting bra or constricting top – neither has been a part of my wardrobe since the 90’s (or the late 1900’s, as my daughter humorously refers to this decade). These etched lines and creases were here to stay, with a high probability of getting worse, unless I took action.
STEP 1 – PRODUCTS
- Retinoids – Retinoids are the most prescribed anti-aging, anti-acne, anti- crepey product on the planet. Why? Because they work.
Retinoids promote cell turnover, ungluing dead skin from healthy new skin.
Retinoids anchor topical products, driving them into the deeper layers of skin.
Retinoids produce new collagen, restoring the health and bounce of a dehydrated and deflated dermis.
- Sunscreen – Few areas are as reflective of the control we have over how quickly our skin ages as our chests (and necks). We do far less to protect and treat our chests (and necks) in comparison to our faces. The contrast between the face and just south of the chin becomes flagrant over time.
Sunscreen is a must for ALL exposed areas.
Scarves offer great protection and are such an underestimated power accessory.
Rash guards and swim shirts can be super cool, so cool, in fact, some should be called fashguards.
Button up that blouse during the day. Unbutton when the sun goes down.
- Antioxidants – Lots of antioxidants, as in “there is no such thing as too much.” Eat them. Apply them. Antioxidants fight off environmental assaults – pollution, sun damage, preservatives – that permanently damage and destroy our cells.
- Pigment/Melanocyte Suppressants – Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Azelaic Acid, Kojic Acid, Niacinamide, Vitamin C, Cysteamine
Hyperpigmentation, discoloration, uneven skin tone result from one thing only: an overproduction of melanin. Calm and suppress the melanin production : Clear and even the skin tone.
Combining pigment suppressants with retinoids is standard preparation for lasers and chemical peels.
STEP 2 – CLEAR PIGMENT ISSUES with CHEMICAL PEELS, IPL, EXCEL V LASER
For a quick reveal, chemical peels are an ideal first treatment. Removing controlled layers of damaged skin is so anti-aging and so satisfying.
Then, go deeper to target vascular issues and resistant pigment with IPL (for lighter skin types I + II only) or Excel V laser (for all skin types).
STEP 3 – SMOOTH SKIN with DERMAL FILLERS + BOTOX
Dermal fillers are instant gratification in a syringe. Depending on degree of spread and depth of chest wrinkles, dermal fillers can be used to lift these areas to be flush with surrounding skin. Fillers also can be used to give the youthful “bounce” back to an otherwise bony decolletage.
Micro-dosing with Botox also helps tighten and smooth chest wrinkles.
STEP 4 – REWIND THE DAMAGE and ENHANCE + MAINTAIN RESULTS of other treatments with LASERS, RF and MICRONEEDLING
- Secret RF combines microneedling with RF (radiofrequency). The needles work as conduits for the RF energy to reach the deepest layers of the dermis where healthy new collagen and elastin are produced. As the heated micro-channels cool, skin contracts and the channels close, tightening skin in the process.
- Pixel Laser is a fractional ablative laser, vaporizing tunnels from skin’s surface to the dermis. The vaporized tunnels are surrounded by healthy tissue, so healing time is greatly reduced.
- Alternating Secret RF with Pixel Laser is the ideal combination for maxim improvement for chest wrinkles.
- Maintain and enhance results with SkinPen + TCA, chemical peels, DiamondGlow, products and strict sun protection.